The Greek Gods Family Tree
The Greek Mythology is complex and confusing to a lot of people, especially the Greek Gods family tree. Trying to root out who is related to whom can often be difficult if not close to impossible. Mainly because there are multiple versions of the stories and they are all handed down through many generations and through word of mouth.
I have attempted to list here all the well-known deities of this often misunderstood religion. Some names and descriptions you may well be familiar with and others not so much. I will try to give a bit of detail to each being. The more well-known will see their own posts in the future on this site. As the stories are fun to read and share.
Before there was life in the world there was Chaos. From this void or nothingness came the Primordial beings. Not exactly gods and goddesses as we know them in the rest of mythology. These beings were more the embodiment of the essence of the universe. Such things as the night and the sky.
The list of primordials is as follows:
- Chaos- The beginning. Nothingness and void.
2. Next Generation
- Gaia- Mother Earth who gave birth to the other primordial and who along with consort and son Uranus gave birth to the Titans.
- Tartarus- The Underworld. A Pit of hell where souls are tormented. Some Titans get banished here by the Olympians.
- Eros- Love and Attraction
- Erebus- Dark and Shadow
- Nyx- The Night
3. Third Generation
- Uranus- Father Sky
- The Nesoi- The islands and Sea
- Aether- Light
- Chronos- Time
- Hemera- Day
- Ourea- Mountains
- Pontus- Sea and Fish
- Nemesis- Retribution
- Hypnos- Sleep
- Thanatos- Death
4. Final Generation
- Ananke- Inevitability
- Phanes- Procreation
- Thalassa- Spirit of the Sea
This is the point at which things start to take a more concrete form in the Greek Mythology world. These were mighty rulers of the Universe. Until Cronus received a prophecy that one of his children would overthrow them. To prevent this he started swallowing his children with Rhea. Creating a group of really pissed off offspring in the Olympians.
The titans were born in two generations. The first were offspring of the primordials Gaia and Uranus. The second were offspring of the first generation.
- Oceanus- The Sea Fathered The Nymphs and Metis
- Tethys- Rivers Sister and Wife to Oceanus
- Hyperion- Sunlight Fathered Helios, Selene and Eos
- Theia- Shining light Sister and Wife to Hyperion
- Coeus- Intellect Fathered Leto, Asteria and Lelantos
- Phoebe- Prophecy Wife and Sister to Coeus
- Cronus- Leader of the Titans. God of Harvest
- Rhea- Fertility Consort and Sister to Cronus Gave birth to Olympians Zeus, Hades, Hestia, Demeter, Hera and Poseidon.
- Mnemosyne- Memory Mother of the nine muses with Zeus
- Iapetus- Mortality Father of Atlas, Menoetius, Prometheus and Epimetheus.
- Crius- Constellations Father of Astraeus, Perses, and Pallas
- Themis- Law and Order
- Metis- Advice and Good Council
- Helios- Sun
- Selene- Moon
- Eos- Dawn
- Asteria- Falling Stars
- Leto- Motherhood
- Lelantos- Air
- Menoetius- Violent Anger
- Epimetheus- Afterthought
- Prometheus- Forethought
- Atlas- Sky Carrier
- Perses- Destruction
- Astraeus- Astrology
- Pallas- Warcraft
Cronus and Rhea had six children together. He managed to swallow five of them whole before Rhea devised a plan to wrap a rock as one and let him swallow that rather than the child. She secreted the child off to be raised by nymphs. Years later the child, Zeus is aided by his wife Metis in deceiving Cronus. Giving him a poison that makes him disgorge the previously swallowed children fully grown in reverse order. Making Zeus the oldest of the Olympians and the Youngest at the same time. The original Six Olympians were:
- Hestia Goddess of The Hearth and Family Life
- Demeter Goddess of Fertility and Agriculture
- Hera Queen of the Gods. Goddess of Family and Marriage. Ironically.
- Hades God of the Underworld
- Poseidon God of the Sea
The Remainder of the olympians are all children of Zeus. Although it is unclear who the true parents of Pan are, it appears he may be the offspring of Zeus and Dryope a nymph.
- Aphrodite Goddess of love and Beauty. Daughter with Thalassa the primordial
- Athena Goddess of Wisdom and Intellect. Daughter with Metis the Titan
- Apollo God of Music, arts and healing. Son with Leto the Titan
- Artemis Goddess of hunt, Wild animals and virginity. Daughter with Leto the Titan.
- Ares God of War. Son with Hera Queen of the Gods
- Hephaestus God of the Forge Fire. Son with Hera the Queen of the Gods.
- Hermes Messenger God. Son of Maia a mortal mistress
- Dionysus God of Wine and Merriment. Son of Semele mortal mistress
- Persephone Goddess of Spring. Daughter of Demeter sister of Zeus
- Pan God of the Wild. Most likely Son of Dryope the Nymph.
Zeus fathered many other children that are mentioned in stories. Mainly on how he came to be their father. Most notable of these are Hercules, The Muses, Perseus and Helen of Troy.
Poor Hera for being the Goddess of marriage and family she sure did have a hard time keeping a leash on her husband Zeus. Seems he mated with just about anyone or thing.
The family tree of the Greek Mythology Gods is a gnarly one to try and plot out in straight lines. With brothers and sisters mating, mothers and sons and even grandmothers and grandsons. It becomes such a tangled web one can barely make sense of it all. We try because the stories are just so interesting. Who is your favorite Greek God? Please comment below.