Wheel of Time Characters
Robert Jordan has taken a more realistic view on how to save a world. It is not all on the shoulders of one amazing hero. It takes all of the Wheel of Time Characters to make the world really work. Rather the actions of several people working together. What makes Wheel of Time or WoT different is that the people working to save the world are not always aware of each other.
There are several groups of people that these books follow. There are people doing things that seem completely irrelevant at times. They later turn up to be pivotal actions in the grand scheme of things. With intrigue and deception everywhere. The key players we see often are forced to make sense of the complex workings of the world and those around them.
Every so often we the reader become privy to a small piece of knowledge that the rest of the players in the book have no idea about. Cherish these bits. With the number of people and places involved it becomes difficult at times to keep them all straight. Trust that with time things will become more clear. You will feel a bit overwhelmed at the scope of the series at times. This is completely understandable and temporary. Once you fall in love with some of the characters, and I am sure you will, it all flows beautifully.
There is something for everyone in this series. Each group has their own unique characteristics and nuances to separate them from the pack. I have tried to leave out final fates on character descriptions to maintain surprise. A List of Black Ajah is available if you click here. Not giving away spoilers if I can help it.
Group Quick Links
- Aes Sedai
- The Band of The Red Hand
- Children of Light
- The Forsaken
- Great Generals
- Hunters For the Horn
- Sea Folk
- Wise Women
A Vast and varied group of women who can channel. Women who have a stronger ability to channel are given more respect and rise through the ranks faster. Having gone through training at the White Tower. Dabblers in politics behind the scenes for many generations. While there are women who can channel that are not a part of the Aes Sedai they are derogatorily referred to as Wilders. Aes Sedai have a great deal of influence and power beyond their channeling. Coming from all walks of life they must undergo a rigorous and harsh training before being allowed to wear the ring signifying them as Aes Sedai. I will go into further detail on the Aes Sedai in a future article. Each must swear three oaths on a magically binding rod. One of which is never to lie. This has earned them a reputation of twisting words to manipulate the truth. Once their training is complete they are allowed to join Ajahs. Each Ajah is devoted to different studies. There are seven official groups of ajah. With the Black Ajah being hinted at but remaining in the shadows. Upon acceptance into an Ajah each woman is given a vine embroidered shawl fringed in the color of their chosen Ajah.
Egwene al’Vere: Main character in the series. Initially the lover of Rand al’Thor. Had the Talent of Foretelling and Dreamwalking. Former Amyrlin Seat.
This group focuses on causes of righteousness and justice. They have the largest network of eyes and ears around the world that report information. They title their leader First Selector.
- Adine Canford
- Aeldene Stonebridge: head of the Blue eyes-and-ears network
- Aeldra Najaf
- Anaiya Carel
- Anlee: former Sitter
- Berylla Naron
- Cabriana Mecandes
- Cetalia Delarme: former head of the Blue Ajah’s eyes-and-ears network
- Faolain Orande
- Gitara Moroso
- Ispan Shefar
- Kairen Stang
- Lannis: historical scholar
- Leane Sharif: former Keeper of the Chronicles under Siuan Sanche; changed to the Green Ajah
- Lelaine Akashi: Sitter and current First Selector
- Lyrelle Arienwin: Sitter
- Maigan: Egwene’s Blue Ajah advisor in Salidar
- Marith Jaen
- Merean Redhill
- Moiraine Damodred
- Moria Karentanis
- Rafela Cindal
- Reiko Kerevon
- Sheraine Caminelle
- Sheriam Bayanar: former Mistress of Novices under Siuan Sanche; former Keeper of the Chronicles under Egwene al’Vere
- Siuan Sanche: former head of the Blue eyes-and-ears network; former Amyrlin Seat
- Tamra Ospenya: former Amyrlin Seat
This is the battle Ajah. They spend the majority of their time preparing for the Last Battle. They are able to take as many Warders as they please. Most have many. The ones that have only one Warder are usually married to him as well. They title their leader Captain-General.
- Adelorna Bastine: Captain-General
- Aisling Noon: bonded by an Asha’man
- Alanna Mosvani
- Asne Zeramene
- Beldeine Nyram: bonded to an Asha’man
- Bera Harkin
- Cadsuane Melaidhrin
- Careane Fransi
- Chowin Tsao: historical advisor to Artur Hawkwing
- Coladara: advisor to King Paitar of Arafel
- Elayne Trakand: Heir to the throne of Andor, and later Queen. Paramour of Rand al’Thor. Has the Talent of making ter’angreal.
- Eleyan al’Landerin: historical Aes Sedai with a statue in the south west area of Tar Valon
- Erian Boroleos
- Ester Stepashin
- Faeldrin Harella
- Faiselle Darone: Sitter in the Tower, in Salidar, and in the reunited Hall
- Farnah Sadaou: Sitter in the reunited Hall
- Hattori Gatano
- Irgain Fatamed
- Jala Bandevin
- Jeaine Caide
- Joline Maza former Sitter
- Kera Haellin
- Kerene Nagashi
- Kiruna Nachiman
- Leane Sharif: Former Aes Sedai of the Blue Ajah and now of the Green Ajah. Keeper of the Chronicles under Siuan Sanche. Deposed and stilled. Healed by Nynaeve.
- Lusonia Cole
- Malind Nachenin: Sitter for the Salidar Hall
- Manda Wan
- Merise Haindehl: bonded to an Asha’man
- Mikio Vadere
- Mirlene Cornwell
- Myrelle Berengari: Captain-General in Salidar
- Nacelle Kayama
- Nelavaire Demasiellin: bonded to Naeff, an Asha’man
- Rina Hafden: Sitter for the White Tower during the Schism
- Rubinde Acedone: Sitter in the Tower before, during, and after the Schism
- Samalin Naeroda: Sitter in the Salidar Hall
- Sanaiye Asaheen
- Seonid Traighan
- Talene Minly
- Vandene Namelle
These are the healers. They study the various ways of saving lives and healing injuries. They title their leader the First Weaver.
- Amico Nagoyin
- Annharid Matoun
- Atuan Larisett
- Berenicia Morsad
- Cairlyn Nesolle
- Carniele Emares: bonded by an Asha’man
- Celestin Eguilera
- Chesmal Emry
- Corele Hovian: bonded to an Asha’man
- Dagdara Finchey
- Desandre Alraed: bonded by an Asha’man
- Doesine Alwain: Sitter
- Edesina Azzedin
- Larissa Lyndel
- Ludice Daneen
- Magla Daronos: Sitter in the Tower, in Salidar, and in the reunited Hall
- Nalaene Forrell
- Narenwin Barda: head of the Yellow Ajah’s eyes-and-ears network
- Nisao Dachen
- Nynaeve al’Meara
- Pritalle Nerbaijan
- Romanda Cassin: former First Weaver in the Tower and in Salidar; rebel; Sitter in the Tower, in Salidar, and in the reunited Hall
- Rosil: second Mistress of Novices under Egwene
- Ryma Galfrey
- Salita Toranes: rebel Sitter
- Samitsu Tamagowa
- Sedore Dajenna: former Sitter
- Shemerin: demoted to Accepted by Elaida a’Roihan
- Suana Dragand: the First Weaver
- Therva Maresis
- Zenare Ghodar
The largest Ajah currently. They are focused on eliminating wrong and dangerous use of the Power. Typically this means finding rare men who can channel. Often thought to hate men as unlike other Ajahs they bond no Warders. They title their leader Highest.
- Amira Moselle
- Barasine: Sitter
- Caren Endelle
- Cariandre Temalien
- Chisaine Nurbaya
- Covarla Baldene
- Desala Nevanche
- Duhara Basaheen: former Sitter
- Elaida do Avriny a’Roihan
- Galina Casban
- Innina Darenhold
- Jamilila Norsish
- Janine Pavlara
- Javindhra Doraille: former Sitter
- Jenare Balmaen: bonded by an Asha’man
- Katerine Alruddin: former Mistress of the Novices under Elaida
- Laigin Arnault
- Lemai Ambani: bonded by an Asha’man
- Liandrin Guirale
- Lirene Doirellin: former exiled Sitter
- Memara: sent as advisor to queen Tenobia
- Pevara Tazanovni: former Sitter; bonded by and to an Asha’man
- Raechin Connoral: Sitter
- Sashalle Anderly: stilled and Healed
- Silviana Brehon: former Mistress of the Novices under Elaida do Avriny a’Roihan; former Keeper of the Chronicles under Egwene al’Vere
- Tarna Feir: Keeper of the Chronicles under Elaida do Avriny a’Roihan
- Tesien Jorhald
- Teslyn Baradon
- Toveine Gazal
- Tsutama Rath: former exiled Sitter; now the Highest
- Valene Sural
- Vayelle Kamsa
- Viria Connoral: Sitter
This group focuses on logic and philosophy. Thoughts and the mind are their main domain. They rarely bond Warders but are able to. They have no known eyes and ears network. They title their leader First Reasoner.
- Carlinya Sorevin
- Zerah Dacan
- Norine Dovarna
- Seaine Herimon: Sitter of the White Ajah
- Daigian Moseneillin
- Ferane Neheran: Sitter, and First Reasoner the White Ajah.
- Sarene Nemdahl
This group focuses on diplomacy and mediation in politics. They title their leader Head Clerk.
- Adrielle: bonded by an Asha’man
- Aisha Raveneos
- Akoure Vayet: bonded by an Asha’man
- Alind Dyfelle
- Andaya Forae: Sitter
- Angharad Juerissen
- Annoura Larisen: advisor to Berelain
- Beonin Marinye
- Berisha Terakuni
- Coiren Saeldain
- Delana Mosalaine
- Elaiva Walfor
- Evanellein Lorn: Sitter
- Jarna Malari
- Jennet Cobb
- Joiya Byir
- Karale Sanghir
- Kwamesa Taramasu
- Larelle Tarsi
- Mabriam en Shereed
- Marya Somares
- Meidani Eschede
- Melavaire Someinellin
- Merana Ambrey
- Merilille Ceandevin
- Naorisa Cambral
- Niande Moorwyn
- Nisain a’Cowel
- Serancha Colvine: Head Clerk
- Sevlana Meseau
- Shahal Comanli
- Sierin Vayu
- Teire Alentaine
- Temaile Kinderode
- Tiana Noselle: Mistress of Novices in the Rebel Camp
- Varilin Zanaire: Sitter in the Tower before the schism, in the rebel Hall, and in the reunited Hall
- Yukiri Haruna
This group is dedicated to gathering and preserving knowledge. Most Librarians in the White Tower are Brown sisters. They title their leader First Chair.
- Adeleas Namelle
- Aiden din Shimura
- Akarrin Comeris
- Bennae Nalsad
- Cathal Devore
- Chai Rugan
- Demira Eriff: in the Caemlyn embassy
- Doraise Mesianos
- Eldrith Jhondar
- Elin Warrel
- Escaralde Hamdey
- Felaana Bevaine
- Gabrelle Brawley: bonded by Logain, an Asha’man
- Haesel Lusara
- Janya Frende
- Jesse Bilal
- Juilaine Madome
- Kumira Dhoran
- Marillin Gemalphin
- Marith Riven
- Marris Thornhill
- Martine Janata
- Masuri Sokawa
- Morvrin Thakanos
- Nalasia Merhan
- Namine Tasil
- Nesune Bihara
- Nyein din Kalede
- Razina Hazzan
- Rosara Medrano
- Saerin Asnobar: Sitter
- Sareitha Tomares: Ambassador in Altara
- Serafelle Tanisloe
- Shevan Gadarin
- Takima Deraighdin: Sitter for the Salidar Hall and the reunited Hall
- Theodrin Dabei
- Valera Gorovni
- Verin Mathwin
- Yasicca Cellaech
- Zemaille din Amassa
The first stage of training is called Novice. While all Aes Sedai go through this stage for at least some period of time. There is only one person who stays in this stage through their entire time in the books. The stage after Novice is Accepted. They gain a bit more freedom and again all members go through this stage as well.
Nicola Treehill: in training with the sisters in Salidar.
Staunch and determined warriors. Easily identified by their color changing cloaks. Many Aes Sedai choose to take on guardians. These are called Warders. They are specially bonded. Aes Sedai can feel their Warders location and presence at all times. The reverse is also true. Allowing the Warders to be there and ready for any issues. If an Aes Sedai dies their Warder feels great pain and usually loses the will to live. There have been a few exceptions to this rule.
- Nisao Dachen’s Warder is Sarin Hoigan.
- Demira Eriff’s Warder is Stevan.
- Merise Haindehl’s Warder is the Asha’man Jahar Narishma.
- Daigian Moseneillin’s Warder is Eben Hopwil Asha’man
- Corele Hovian’s Warder is Asha’man Damer Flinn.
- Nynaeve al’Meara’s Warder is Lan Mandragoran Former Warder to Moiraine Damodred. King of Malkier, which was lost to the Shadow when he was a child. Greatest swordsman of the Third Age, defeated Demandred in single combat.
- Beldeine Nyram’s Warder is Karldin Manfor Asha’man.
- Moiraine Damodred’s starts as Lan then her warder and husband is Thom Merrilin
- Sarene Nemdahl’s Warder is Vitalien
- Elayne Trakand’s Warder is Birgitte Silverbow.
- Masuri Sokawa’s Warder is Rovair Kirklin.
- Samitsu Tamagowa’s Warder is Roshan.
- Siuan Sanche’s Warder is Gareth Bryne
Fierce warriors from desert lands called the Waste. They are typically garbed in shades of brown and beige. Able to blend in to most surroundings. They wear a Shoufa at all times and don a veil across their face when they prepare for battle. Only men can be clan chief while only women can own land. Their social structure is complex and requires an article of its own. The Aiel are vast in number and vicious of reputation. I have only list the main few here.
- Janduin: Former leader of the Tardaad Aiel and biological father of Rand al’Thor.
Women warriors of the Aiel. Meaning Maidens of the Spear. As no Aiel will wield a sword. They spend their life in preparation of battle. Being Wed to the Spear. When they decide to marry they must lay down the spear and take a husband. These are just the main ones.
Females among the Aiel with great wisdom. Most are able to channel to some degree although the amount they can channel has no bearing on their rank among the Wise Ones. They make decisions amongst themselves and are completely separate from the clan chiefs although they do confer with them. Wise Ones can make decisions that affect an entire clan against the wishes of a Clan Chief. They have undergone a rigorous training and a testing period of entering Rhuidean just as the Clan Chiefs.
- Aviendha: Maiden of the Spear, later a Wise One, and one of Rand al’Thor’s paramours.
A recently formed group of men who have the ability to channel. Since the male half of the power was tainted all men who can channel are destined to go mad. Despite this some men are willing to learn how to use this in born gift/curse to better the world while they can. They have formed a counter tower to the White Tower that they call the Black Tower.
Loyal To Logain
- Logain Ablar: Previously a False Dragon; gentled by the White Tower and Healed by Nynaeve al’Meara.
- Androl Genhald: Extremely weak in the Power but with the Talent of making Gateways.
- Mezar Kurin
- Donalo Sandomere
Loyal To Mazrim Taim
- Charl Gedwyn
- Raefar Kisman
- Atal Mishraile
- Manel Rochaid
- Mazrim Taim: Asha’man, False Dragon, and new Forsaken. M’Hael of the Black Tower.
- Peral Torval
- Evin Vinchova
Loyal to Rand
- Jonan Adley: Early recruit of the Black Tower.
- Corlan Dashiva: Guise of Aginor while in the Black Tower.
- Enkazin: Asha’man. Friend of Saml al’Seen from the Two Rivers.
- Damer Flinn: One of the oldest Asha’man, the first to be tested for the ability. Bonded as a Warder to Corele Hovian. Best male Talent at healing.
- Jur Grady: One of the original Asha’man recruits. Accompanies Perrin Aybara.
- Jahar Narishma Warder to Merise Haindehl
- Eben Hopwil: Bonded by Daigian Moseneillin.
- Welyn Kajima
- Arel Malevin
- Karldin Manfor: Bonded as Warder by Beldeine Nyram of Green Ajah.
- Fedwin Morr: One of the first Asha’man.
- Arlen Nalaam
- Jahar Narishma: Bonded as Warder by Merise Haindehl.
- Fager Neald: Asha’man of soldier rank. Accompanies Perrin Aybara in his mission to find Masema.
- Varil Nensen
- Saml al’Seen: Native to Emond’s Field.
- Nalesean Aldiaya: Deceased commander of the Band of the Red Hand.
- Carlomin: A Tairen Lord. Banner-General, he leads a banner of cavalry in Altara.
- Noal Charin: Also known as legendary traveler ‘Jain Farstrider’.
- Edorion: A Tairen Lord. Banner-General, he leads a banner of horse in Altara under Talmanes.
- Estean: Lieutenant-General, he commands the cavalry of the Murandy contingent, particularly three banners of horse.
- Mandevwin: A Cairhienen. Banner-General, he commands the crossbowmen temporarily attached to the Altaran cavalry contingent.
- Olver: Orphan and companion to the Band of the Red Hand.
- Daerid Ondin: Lieutenant-General, he commands five banners of foot soldiers in the Murandy group.
- Reimon: A Tairen Lord. Banner-General, he leads a banner of horse also in Altara.
The staunch believers in purity and light. They believe that anyone who can channel is a witch and thus a Darkfriend. No matter the deeds of the Aes Sedai they are the enemy of the White Cloaks. Seen as an abomination that needs to be purged from the world.
Rhadam Asunawa: High Inquisitor, leader of the Hand of the Children of the Light.
Balwer: Secretary and spymaster to Perrin Aybara, former spymaster for Pedron Niall.
Galad Damodred: Half-brother of Elayne and Gawyn Trakand on his father’s side, and as son of Tigraine Mantear, also Rand al’Thor’s half-brother.
Pedron Niall: Former Lord Captain Commander . One of the five Great Captains.
Eamon Valda: Former Lord Captain Commander.
A division of the Whitecloaks devoted to finding hidden Darkfriends. They will stop at nothing to get someone to admit to being a Darkfriend. Including Torture and death. Once a person is in their hands it is almost certain they will confess or die. The Questioners believe there is no other choices.
A specially selected group of individuals chosen by the Dark One. Calling themselves The Chosen. They have been granted special powers and possibly immortality for their service. Mostly fighting amongst themselves to gain favor with the Dark One. Their plots can be very tricky to understand and spot. Followers of the Forsaken are called Darkfriends and are secretly working to aid the Dark One. Many people have been accused of being Darkfriends over the years. The members of the Aes Sedai that work for the Dark One or Forsaken are part of the Black Ajah.
- Aginor: Creator of Trollocs, gholam, and other Shadowspawn.
- Demandred: Leader of the Sharans.
- Graendal: A master of Compulsion. Killed by Shaidar Haran and resurrected by the Dark One as Hessalam.
- Ishamael: The most powerful member of the Forsaken. Known as the “Betrayer of Hope”. Caused Lews Therin Telamon to commit suicide. Resurrected as Moridin after being killed by Rand al’Thor.
- Lanfear: Originally known as Mierin; sometime paramour to Lews Therin Telamon. Killed by Moridin in the realm of the Aelfinn, returned as Cyndane
- Rahvin: Used Compulsion on Queen Morgase of Andor in order to take control of the country.
- Semirhage: Known for being exceedingly cruel and creative with torture. Became the Truthspeaker to the Daughter of the Nine Moons.
Skilled entertainers. They wander from town to town performing. With skills ranging from telling tales, singing, playing music and juggling. They often have quick hands and quick wits. Identified by their cloaks made of a patch work of fabrics and colors.
Thom Merrilin: Former bard to Queen Morgase; also her paramour. Married and Warder to Moiraine Damodred.
- Davram Bashere: One of the five ‘Great Captains’. Born in Saldaea. Commanded the Army of the Light in Caemlyn in the Last Battle, where he died.
- Gareth Bryne: One of the five ‘Great Captains’. Originally from Andor. Suspected paramour of Queen Morgase. Warder to Siuan Sanche. Commanded the Army of the Light in Kandor in the Last Battle, where he died.
- Talmanes Delovinde: A Lord of Cairhien. He leads the Altara contingent of three banners supplemented by a large group of crossbowmen.
- Rodel Ituralde: One of the five ‘Great Captains’. Fought the Seanchan in Arad Doman until being brought to the Saldaean front by the Dragon Reborn. Commanded the Army of the Light in Shayol Ghul during the Last Battle.
- Agelmar Jagad: One of the five Great Captains, leads the Borderlander Army of the Light at Tarwin’s Gap during the Last Battle.
- Zarine (Faile) Bashere: Daughter of Davram Bashere. Wife of Perrin Aybara. Cousin to the queen of Saldaea.
- Gaidal Cain: A Hero of the Horn, known as the lover and companion of Birgitte.
- Birgitte Silverbow: Hero of the Horn. Warder to Elayne Trakand.
A gentle race of giants and scholars. a species of anthropoid; hirsute, wide-featured, and immense in height and strength; intelligent, long-lived, and typically peaceful. Proficient in wood-carving and masonry; given to inventing long, elaborate names; immersed in historical and genealogical study; sedentary as a rule. Typically confined to the sanctuaries known as ‘stedding’ (a variation probably of ‘Steading’), in which the One Power is inaccessible. They live separated from the troubles of the world in Steddings. Keeping to themselves and not getting mixed up in politics. They used to be very active in the world with the ability to sing trees and stone into magnificent structures and cities. Most of this skill has been lost over the years. However a select few retain the ability. They were the original crafters of the White Tower. One of the world’s most beautiful buildings.
Erith: Wife of Loial.
Loial: Close friend to Perrin Aybara and Rand al’Thor.
- Algarin Pendaloan: Tairen Lord with potential to be an Asha’man.
- Amathera: Former Panarch of Tarabon. Love interest of Juilin Sandar
- Tigraine Mantear: Former queen of Andor, mother of Galad Damodred and later of Rand al’Thor. Died giving birth
- Mattin Stepaneos den Balgar: King of Illian.
- Berelain sur Paendrag Tanreal: First (leading statesman) of Mayene.
- Lews Therin Telamon: Dragon, Lord of Morning, Kinslayer, led the fight against the Shadow in the War of Power.
- Morgase Trakand: Queen of Andor. Mother of Gawyn and Elayne.
The sea faring people. They spend all of their time on boats trading with various nations. They have a complex social structure that will require another article. They are easily identified by their bare feet, often bare chest and multitude of piercings about their heads.
Harine din Togara Two Winds – Clan Shodein
Malin din Toral Breaking Wave – Clan Somarin
Zaida din Parede Blackwing – Clan Catelar
Cemeille din Selaan Long Eyes – Wind Racer
Coine din Jubai Wild Winds – Wavedancer
Malin din Toral Breaking Wave – Windrunner
Milis din Shalada Three Stars – Whitecap
Derah din Selaan Rising Wave – White Spray
- Renaile din Calon Blue Star
- Caire din Gelyn – Running Wave
- Dorile din Eiran – Long Feather
- Shalon din Togara – Morning Tide
- Tebreille din Gelyn – South Wind
- Jorin din Jubai White Wing – Wavedancer
- Metarra din Junalle – apprentice
- Nestelle din Sakura – South Star
- Senine din Ryal
- Talaan din Gelyn – apprentice
- Taval din Chanai Nine Gulls – White Spray
- Amel – Clan Catelar
- Moad – Clan Shodein
- Toram – Wavedancer
Descendants of Arthur Hawking. Their people were taken across the sea by his heir. They have a rigid stance on channeling. Anyone caught channeling is shackled into a necklace that is attached magically to a bracelet. The bracelet allows the wearer to control the channeling of the necklace wearer. The call it leashing. They have no objections to taking rulers of nations as slaves and making them like it.
- Furyk Karede: Seanchan Banner-General of the Deathwatch Guard, he led the search for the High Lady Tuon.
- Selucia: Shadow and Voice to Empress of Seanchan.
- Tuon/Fortuona: Seanchan royal, called ‘Daughter of the Nine Moons’; later Empress. Leader of the Seanchan invasion force. Wife of Mat Cauthon.
- Marath’damane– The Seanchan word for women who can channel and are free. It means those who must be leashed.
- Alivia: Former Seanchan damane. Most powerful female channeler alive.
- Ryma Galfrey: Aes Sedai of the Yellow Ajah. Now a damane named Pura.
- Couladin: The leader of the Shaido Aiel and false Car’a’carn.
- Sevanna: Couladin’s Widow who takes control of the Shaido.
- Therava: Shaido Aiel Wise One and master of former Aes Sedai Galina Casban.
The name for people who can change the fate of those around them simply by being there. Several of our main characters are of this group. Simply going to a town can cause babies to be born, women to be wed and terrible events to unfold. The Ta’veren have no choice in the outcome of these events. It just happens.
- Perrin Aybara: Central character of the series; former blacksmith and woodworker; capable of telepathic communication with wolves, as well as being able to visit Tel’aran’rhiod. Named ‘Young Bull’ by the wolves and ‘Lord Goldeneyes’ by his followers. Husband of Faile Bashere.
- Mat Cauthon: Childhood companion of Perrin Aybara and Rand al’Thor; Captain-General of the Band of the Red Hand; later consort of Tuon/Fortuona, with the title ‘Prince of the Ravens’.
- Rand al’Thor: Protagonist; reincarnation of Lews Therin Telamon, and heir to his role. The Dragon Reborn.
A group of peaceful travelers. Prone to wearing garish bright colors and painting their wagons to match. They travel about doing odd jobs. Usually seen by the locals as thieves. Tinkers follow the Way of the Leaf. They will not use a weapon even to defend themselves. Most notable member.
A Woman in a village that has knowledge of herbs and poultices for healing. Some of these secretly can channel as well to aid their healing efforts. Usually seen as a wise person to go to for counseling. Often help guide the leaders of a town in decision making.
There is a group you will be introduced to late in the series around book 7. Calling themselves The Kin. They are a group of women who can channel that have either entered the White Tower and been put out due to lack of strength or runaway.
They have their own set of rules and are governed by the Knitting Circle lead by the Eldest. They have set up a list of rules preventing them from attempting to learn more or teach others of channeling to stay under the radar of the Aes Sedai. Some of their members have reached wise old ages indeed.
- Reanne Corly former Eldest 412 (refused to complete her test for Accepted)
- Sumeko Karistovan , actual Eldest 402 (panicked during her test for Aes Sedai)
- Sibella 387 (failed her test for Aes Sedai)
- Ieine 371 (refused to start her test for Accepted the third time it was asked)
- Chilares Arman 343 (refused to complete her test for Accepted)
- Famelle Juarde 342 (refused to complete her test for Accepted entering the Arches the third time)
- Ivara 336 (refused to take her test for Accepted three times)
- Eldase Takashi 335 (put out for having an intractable temper)
- Dimana Corrand 323 (too weak to test for Aes Sedai)
- Kirstian Chalwin 320 (ran away)
- Tamarla 304 (too weak to test for Aes Sedai)
- Janira age unknown, probably more than 300 because of her graying hair, (too weak to test for Aes Sedai)
- Melore age unknown, probably more than 300 because of her graying hair.
- Alise Tenjile 181 (too weak to test for Aes Sedai) de facto the new ruler of the Kin
- Aloisia Nemosni 600 the oldest known member of the Kin, living in Tear
- Asra Zigane 87 (too weak to test for Aes Sedai) great talent in Healing and Fast Learning
- Berowin Doraisin 242 (failed her test for Aes Sedai) unique talent to Shielding
- Callie (tried to steal a ter’angreal)
- Derys Nermala 89 (put out for discipline problems, after three time she was caught with a man)
- Jesamyn a bit of Talent in Healing and with Fire
- Julanya Fote quite old, due the white in her dark hair, able to Travel alone
- Kara Defane >47 former Wilder, former Damane freed by the Asha’man during Altara campaign, now in care of the Kin
- Keraille Surtovni (too weak to test for Aes Sedai)
- Kumiko (too weak to test for Aes Sedai) able to open Gateway when in Circle
- Lemore Genhal 19 noblewomen from Tarabon former Damane freed by the Asha’man during Altara campaign, now in care of the Kin
- Mirane Larinen
- Sabeine Ocalin able to open suitable Gateway on her own
- Sarainya Vostovan 76, a noble woman, raised Accepted only for political reasons,
- Solain Morgeillin 181 a lesbian kleptomaniac, after eleven years as Novice and eight as Accepted, she was sent away because unable to heal from her problem, the Kin was successful were the Tower failed
- Zarya Alkaese (alias Garenia Rosoinde) 92 (ran away from the Tower after five years as Novice)
- Hopper: Perrin Aybara’s deceased wolf friend and mentor.
- Elyas Machera: Wolf Brother, husband and former Warder to Rina Hafden.
- Masema Dagar: Soldier. Prophet of the Dragon.
- Bayle Domon: Recurring character; Captain of the ferryboat Spray. Taken as da’covale by the Seanchan and made so’jhin by Egeanin Sarna. Later released and wedded by Egeanin.
- Padan Fain: traveling merchant, spying for the Dark One, who later becomes fused with Mashadar. A recurring villain.
- Min Farshaw: Clairvoyant; one of Rand al’Thor’s three principal paramours. Sees visions or auras around people’s heads, which are always true.
- Artur Hawkwing: general/emperor who conquered most of the story’s world; similar to Genghis Khan.
- Hurin: A ‘thief-taker’ in service of the King of Shienar. Has the gift of “smelling” violence. Accompanied Rand al’Thor in the world of the Portal Stones.
- Mordeth: Councilor in the city of Aridhol; now a phantom destroying all intruders.
- Robb Solter: Soldier in Perrin’s army.
- Juilin Sandar: Thief-catcher of Tear.
- Shaidar Haran: Myrddraal. A principal agent of the Dark One.
- Slayer: Being born from the merged souls of Isam Mandragoran, cousin of Lan Mandragoran, and Luc Mantear, maternal uncle of Rand Al’Thor.
- Someshta: Green Man, last of the Nym.
- Tam al’Thor: Adoptive father of Rand al’Thor.
- Gawyn Trakand: Brother of Elayne and half-brother to Galad Damodred. Leader of the Younglings. Warder to Egwene al’Vere.